Saturday, August 7, 2010

My Final Memory Dump: Myanmar & Indonesia

 
 
 
 
PHOTOS: Shwedagon Pagoda, Yangon, Myanmar / U-Bein Bridge, Myanmar / Borobodur, Java, Indonesia / Prambanan, Java, Indonesia

Myanmar, June 2010

It all started when I got back to SE Asia in May from Madagascar. I had absolutely no idea where I was going. Then the Visa-on-arrival program came to my attention and the next thing I found myself in rainy and muggy Yangon. This was before Air Asia started flights to Yangon from K.L. (they started in July) otherwise I could have saved like 200 bucks on the round trip. Anyhow, getting back on track, the mystery of old Burma and General Tan Shwe's rule had me curios to the moment I set my feet in the rainy puddles of Yangon. Yes. Rainy puddles. It was after all, the rainy season. The thing is, when you walk in the puddles, it isn't just rain water you are wading in, it's also overspill from the storm gutters and sewer, it seem. Yuck.
Myanmar, as a whole, now, after being from Indonesia, does spoil the backpacker rotten. For startes there aren't a lot of tourists around. Infrastructure isn't quite there but logistically you are using beat up crammed old open back trucks for taxi locally but the big coaches for long distance (trips which take in excess of 10 hours) are comfortable except for the loud surround sound from the karaoke and DVD movies on throughout the trip. And I mean loud. You can't even hear your iPod with the volume turned on full blast. Riding a Burmese coach is a traveling in a entertainmet nut house. There was one movie which was set in a fishing village and the whole movie was about nothing but 2 families constantly arguing over who caught more fish. Well, I thought so, anyway, since I don't understand Burmese and every time I looked at the screen I saw fish being flung back and forth and lots of arguing.
I am getting writer's block. You brain ceases to ooze creative juices once you hit stagnant travel. I think it is more a thing about being lazy and sitting on your ass all day, drinking coffee and watching tv. The one thing which stood out were that the monks smoked. I didn't see this anywhere else. In Myanmar, most families send their kids to the monasterires for a good education, since the government school system is restrictive in promoting child creative thinking. So, I really don't think that monks are there to be monks but to receive a good education so hence the smoking into their adulthood. Myanmar was also the first place where I ran into monks who ASKED for money. Monks, overall, some, especially one which comes to mind at Mandalay Hill, was very open minded and informed, spoke good English and exchanged a good intelligent conversation with us.
Any yeah, the best banana pancake in Mandalay. The best breakfast at the Mingalar Inn at Naungshwe at Inle Lake...comes to mind. Ok, the block has hit hard. This trip brought me to Yangon, Kalaw, trek from Kalaw to Naungshwe near Inle Lake, Mandalay, Pyin U Lwin, Mingun, U-Bein bridge, Mt Poppa, Bagan and back to Yangon. Basically the very famous Big Four locations.
I'd go back some day. Myanmar is a beautiful country. Of course I think this after I left. Just as I thought of India.

Indonesia, July 2010

Only one thing to say: AVOID the country in the high season, June-August. Too many European families and everyone in their extended family on land. Prices are higher and you pay more for lodging and for what you get is crap compared to outside the high season.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: