Sat, 2008-July-5 evening...So I got to the hostel only to be told that they had no water supply. Apparently some water main had been broken due to some ongoing construction and this was the 3rd day. Traveling with a big bag with dive gear is no fun. I am used to just having the pack on your back. The young fella at the front desk recommended another hotel nearby which was a little above my budget but HAD water. So I transferred over on Sunday. Within a 3 block walking distance, I thought it ridiculous that I had to take a cab due to the big suitcase of dive gear I had to lug around.
Sun, 2008-July-6...Spent the day walking around San Jose. The weather is a welcome change from the dry 46 Deg C in Arizona. It is the wet season in Costa Rica and so walking around expecting the rain to come is not uncommon. The temp ranges from 19C to 28C from evening to day and a humidity of 57% isn't that bad. Basically overcast. It is noticeable that the cost of things had risen since my visit in 2004. I spent part of the day hanging out with a fellow from the Netherlands who had moved to Central America some 8 years ago. He was telling me some story about why he was in CR. A kidnapped girlfriend held by the authorities and he was here to try and get her free. Ok...hm. Well, everyone has a story. Anyway it was company and so I am not complaining. I had run into him at the hostel where I was previously staying at and ran into him again in downtown San Jose while eating at a fast food chicken place. The good thing about hostels are that people tend to be friendlier and you meet more relaxed travelers. Now at my "upgraded" hotel which was a little more "dinero"(money in spanish) people are more stuck in their own groups. But the hotel has water. I got to tell you that after traveling all day and a night's sleep...I just wanted a shower the next morning. Oh well.
Mon, 2008-July-7...Today, I will go and find little children to practice my Spanish with. My Spanish is ridiculously rusty but is coming back the faster locals speak to me. I give them a blank stare, let it register and then reply not knowing what words come out of my mouth. Amazing how the brain works when immersed in a non-English environment. Yet another day in San Jose, Costa Rica ;) It is a nice thing that the ho(s)tels in CR have Internet access 8-D
No comments:
Post a Comment