Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Walking the Streets of San Jose, Costa Rica


It is always fun walking in a foreign place where you hear no English. Walking in San Jose reminds me of walking in my hometown of Kuala Lumpur a bit, the shops, the signs, the smells. But the surrounding buzz is Spanish. The thing I do notice is that the prices are comparable to the U.S. unlike neighboring Nicaragua which is super cheap (that's another travel story from my past). This time around in San Jose, part deux, brought on more acute observations as compared to my 1st visit 4 years ago.

Eating in San Jose...The one thing eating in the stalls in the San Jose Mercado Central is that you know what you are getting. Unlike the stalls in Shanghai, where you are unsure what you get, here in San Jose, it boils down to beans, fish and chicken. Unlike the pig's hoof which sticks out of the bowl and animal inerts which you get in the China stalls, here you can rest assured that you won't be getting that. Well it helps to understand the language 8-D Eating among the locals is more amusing to them than to me, the tourist. First thing is they notice your spanish when you order your food that you ain't from around here. But they appreciate that you speak their language and not insist in speaking in English. Sitting next to me was an older gentleman and his son who were very enthusiastic in speaking with me. Past the "Estatos Unidos" they heard the word "Malaysia" and they had lots of questions for me. The Spanish here is a little harder to understand than the Mexican Spanish in Arizona when spoken fast. But generally Central American Spanish is very clear.

Chinese in San Jose...This time the stroll in the city of San Jose presented more Asian faces than my last visit. What doesn't surprise me is that on the walk back to my hotel, a local Costa Rican Latino greeted me in Cantonese "Good Bye" (Joy Geen) I think he stopped me in my tracks as I almost stepped off the sidewalk when he said that. I turned and he asked me where I lived...I guess he thought I was local ;) Even the hostel where I stayed the 1st night, the owner is of Taiwanese origin who emigrated here 12 years ago. I think it was in the 70s and 80s that groups of Taiwanese migrated to Central Am. Anyhow, walking the streets with an Oriental looking face had me blend in pretty well. As I dined at the central market stall, a Chinese lady and 2 kids walked by, without first stopping to stare at me. I think the giveaway that I am a foreigner is undeniably the Yankee accent when I speak Spanish.

Cows in the city of San Jose...for one who has traveled to different cities you may notice that cities have themes. This time there were "cow" structures all over San Jose as part of some art event in the city. I have seen "bears" in Berlin and "cows" in Mexico City. So seeing the moo moo animals again put a smile on my face. It makes for conversation with the locals as you stop and look at a cow.

The rain decided to come finally. And it is pouring cat and dogs, and...cows. Can't do much walking in the rain, so here I am ... blogging ;)

No comments: