Sunday, January 25, 2009

Patagonia: Back in Ushuaia


I am back in Ushuaia for the last few days before I head up to warm BA. Back in Ushuaia, I like the town better than my 1st visit. I left El Calafate this morning and was glad to leave. The town was just like a Lake Tahoe transplanted in the middle of nowhere, nowhere being Patagoania. It is THE tourist entry point to Patagonia national parks and is at least twice as expensive as Ushuaia. From a cafe con leche to agua con gas to a taxi ride to the airport, everything is literally 2x or more. The name Calafate refers a local berry, local to the area. It has warmed up a little in Ushuaia, 56 deg F. This business of converting between C and F is driving me crazy, so is the conversion of L to gallons. One is always curious about the price of gas. Price in the USA is still cheaper than in Argentina and Chile.

I feel very comfortable in South American like I did in Central America. The people are warm and genuine. I was almost 2 weeks in an organized group where everyone spoke English. Aussies, NZealanders, Norwegians, one Brit, one American and honestly I did not feel my best. No Spanish made me feel uncomfortable and the warm feeling was absent. I sense some time down the road will see me returning to the Latin countries if not to visit, but to live. I think people who come from the industrialized nations take for granted what they have and attitudes are the way they are. When you travel with the USD or Euro or GBP and spend and be in a less industrialized place, you do notice the difference in attitudes. There were 4 kids in the group, from 2 families ages 12 and 16, 11 and 15. One 11 year old boy spoke 3 languages and onto this 4th and was very mature. All kids were very lucky having traveled much in their childhood. I was most impressed. Travel does open your mind and accelerate maturity.

Tomorrow I go walk with the Magellenic penguins. Don't think I have had enough of penguins. As I walked the main drag today, St Martin St, I saw at a tours agency an ad for a last minute spot in a triple on a Russian boat to Antartica USD4900, 11d/10n, but not Antarctic crossing. Had I not further plans, I hop on it. I entered to inquire and the spot had been sold. Something to ponder for the future. I will have to hang out in Ushuaia for some time to find a last minute spot. Even the cheapest of boats who do cross the Antartic Circle cost at a minimum in a triple of USD8000. I better start growing some money trees if I want to pursue this if at all during this lifetime.

No comments: