Thursday, January 29, 2009
Why they call Buenos Aires the "Paris" of South America
Well for starters, the architecture and feel of the streets is like Paris with a touch of American presence (McDonalds, Blockbuster). So far no Starbucks. TG for that. I would run so fast the other way if I spotted one. The cafe con leche suits me just fine. They mix the cafe con leche in an expresso machine, just the way I like it. None of that obnoxious Starbucks latte. And when you do order a latte here, it is way better. Generally I stick to the cafe con leche, leche caliente (hot milk) that is. Other things French, the "portenos" (people from Bueno Aires) have their love affair with dogs just as the Parisians. In fact I have seen a few professional dog walkers usually with upwards of 7 dogs. Have to keep in mind this is a job I could do part time here. The next thing French are that the portenos greet you with kisses on the cheeks, another frenchie thing. Lastly the apartment looks frenchie. My goodness I went to throw out trash today in the garbage chute and you can only fit a small tiny bag of rubbish down it. Really ridiculous. You take for granted everything big and large American. Here the orange juice and milk are sold in 1 Litre. None of the big multiple gallon Yankee style. Everything is small. The thing I miss about the American grocery store are the microwavable dinners. There is none in the supermercados (supermarket) here. Grrr, I am actually cooking now. Have to. To keep my cost down since I have the studio I use the kitchen. So if Buenos Aires is the Paris of the South America, then there is a Monte Carlo. Yep. It is Punta del Este in Uruguay. I will be going there next week. But first making a stop in Colonia, that historical pebbled street town. At first I was mulling about whether to take a Spanish conversational class. But the last thing I want to do is sit in a classroom for 2 hours a day. So I decided to put my funds into Uruguay. It is not a cheap country but has a great social system. One American told me in Ushuaia, Bikini Beach in Punta del Este makes Miami's South Beach a beach of amateurs. Ohh K, I will go check it out. Hehe. It is THE place to be seen in South America. I have been so exhausted that I was asleep by 8PM yesterday. Woke up at 10:30am today and sorted myself out. Will probably try a tango class tomorrow and visit the La Boca part of town.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment