Thursday, November 3, 2011

A taste of Punjab at LAX

So, there I was waiting for the pickup to the motel where I would park my butt for the nite to catch my early morning flight onwards. Then I got a call, an Indian man's voice asking which terminal I was waiting at. I had given my cell phone to the motel when I called for pickup earlier. There I was standing with my bags on the phone. Then I turned around only to face an Indian fellow looking at me talking on his cell phone. It was too funny. Prople were looking at us like we had just stepped out of an episode of Seinfeld. The van was there the whole time. I didn't know it was the van as it had no marking on it. So the driver tells me I'd better call this lady, then looks out his window and sees me talking on my cellphone. So he thinks that must be her, gets out and comes up right up to me still talking on his cell phone. It was too funny. It turns out he's Punjabi from Amritsar and we yack the whole ride over to the motel, picking others up along the way. He's too thrilled to meet someone who's been to where he's from. I greet with the 'ap kay ssy hay?' and we yack enthusiastically about Wagah and the Golden Temple. Then i get dropped off at my motel snd proceed to check in. I see an Indian couple at the front desk, and ask if thry are Patels😁 only to be told off! No, ee are not Patels! I don't like the Patels!! It turns out the motel owners are also from Amritsar. Again we chat fondly of Wagah and the Golden Temple...it was an interesting evening. Then i next door and ordered a 'hamburguesa'. The senor at the BK was fairly chatty and I weaseled some extra bacon and queso on my hamburguesa. It has been an interesting day...the adventure continues in another 4 hours...

No comments: