Wednesday, December 14, 2011
Me as boat captain, lol
So instead of taking the panga to get back to Big Corn from Small Corn, I opted to take the slow boat owned by Don Elario. It is a red boat which transports cargo (including people) who need to get between the islands. The regular panga leaves at 1:30pm but the red boat leaves at 4pm. On Monday, it was overcast and hadn't rained all day. Like clockwork, the rain, and heavy, came just at the moment the boat pulled up to dock. Don Elario had 2 of his grandsons onboard with him. Once we set off, he asked me to take over the helm and stirring the boat. All explained in spanish, he told me to follow the gps since we couldn't yet see Big Corn. As can be expected the visibility was bad due to the weather. Now, I thought that reading the digital compass was just like reading a compass in diving - set the direction, and keep in that direction. But the Don kept telling me or so I thought to stay between 24 and 31 degrees. Once he thought I understood, he went to the back of the boat and set up the fishing rods. Ok, so time passes...I am steering the boat. Then I see land...woo hoo...we reached Big Corn. All of a sudden Don Elario comes running in laughing, telling me that I had just turned the boat back towards Small Corn! We probably list about 30 minutes of the journey to my stupidity. Yeah, I make a good boat captain, allright. And I was sea sick most of the way, including the time I was steering, lol - but my food did not expel until much later. Some adventure.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment