Wednesday, December 14, 2011
Rain on the islands
So after a month in San Juan del Sur I moved to the islsnds, the Corn Islands, specifically Small Corn. After only a week I flew standby and find myself in pebbled streets of colonial Granada, enjoying the non-rainy weather. I had read somewhere online of one person referring to the week of Christmas spent st Small Corn like it felt as if they were in the North Sea. Well, I diddo that. So i cut my 5 week stay to a week. I am unsure as to the exact route I will embark on in the next month before I return to San Juan del Sur. Small Corn is best visited during the months of Jan to April. It is a pity as the cabina I had was in a good location and during prime season it would be almost impossible to book it. There is also a great reef for snorkeling off the beach. Life on the island was kinda slow. There are no vehicles, traffic or blaring honking. Electricity only runs between the hours of 2pm to 5am. Most lodging places have their own generators. There is a main concrete walkway through the village, or downtown. This walkway traverses east west then continues onto a sandy path to where my lodging was(pictures to follow once I get settled in Jan). I befriended many dogs and one very distiguished cat called Mr. mimi at the one italian place(owned by an italian and his half vietnamese-canadian wife who speaks 6 languages). When the storms came I had every layer of clothing I could get on- it was cold. After the second 48 hour aggressive storm, I lost my patience. My speakers stopped working after the first 24 hours then my laptop wouldn't charge on the 6th day- it was time to packup. So yesterday, instead of taking the rough ride panga, i opted for the slow boat or Don Elario's boat, leaving at 4pm instead of 1:30pm.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment