Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Bus Seat...

I am now back in Granada. Headed to Leon tomorrow. I figure the buses will be running less on New Year's day so better get on one on what better day than on the last day of 2011 - Dec 31. The bus seat on the San Carlos to Granada was how would I describe it...I was surrounded by cargo stacked all the way into the aisle. I couldn't exactly stand to stretch my legs for 8.5 hours since the aisleway was occupied(see photo) and immediately behind me what was open space was stuffed to capacity too(see photo). It seemed that every person traveling brought along their whole household kitchen of groceries. There were bags of plantains, rice and everything else that could fit into a big round bucket. The lady in front of me has 2 chickens in a box. I got sold the "foreigner" seat ie the last row in the bus - an extra long US school bus aka chicken bus. Seated across the aisle from me were 2 Costa Ricans primary school teachers on a week's holiday to Nicaragua. The bus arrived 2.4 hours late after stopping and picking more and more cargo. After telling the bus conductor to drop me off at La Cazalda did not and the bus ended in the middle of nowhere at 11:30pm at night. I could been robbed, seriously. In the middle of nowhere. Anyhow tired and annoyed, 2 taxis miraculously showed up, no doubt to charge the gullible foreigners double which I did. I paid the ass taxi driver just under double anyway just to get it over with. Even after accusing him of charging me double I paid it it anyway. It was late, I was tired and the jerk followed me into my hotel and would not leave until he got paid. The hopeless receptionist did nothing to clear the jerk taxi driver out. I couldn't care less it was still less than a buck more, so screw it. Paid the jerk and he left. Hotel room is ok. Shower drain clogs up and a flood forms in the shower after each shower but the hotel provided me plunger to un-clog the drain. I call that service. Lol. Anyway I like Granada. Got my usual breakfast place with the lemon-orange-passion fruit mix and the street of bars and restaurants. Then there's the usual Vigoron I eat in the parque central from the senora who has been there over 30 years.
Gotta head out to today to find out how often the bus will run tomorrow for Managua/UCA(bus terminal) then onwards to Leon. Bring in the New Year in style surrounded by cathedrals - one of which is the biggest in Central America.

No comments: