Wednesday, April 15, 2009
Casablanca: Witness to a Robbery
OK I have to give it to Katherine from Virgina. This is her 2nd visit to Morocco for 3 weeks to visit her friend in Marrakech. She was staying at the same hotel in the Old Medina in Casablanca where I met her in the computer room. We hung out together for my 1st day in Cas. On the 2nd day she followed me as I changed hotels to join my group for the weel (big mistake. Once you do independent travel group trips are a royal pain. But I opted to get my transpo and loddgng taken care off for the short time I had. Only to dea with an ass of a trip leader. But enough of that.) So the 2nd day we were looking for the Cathedral Sacre Cour which nobody seemed to know. Finally we stopped a French older man in his tracks who lived part time in Cas and he spoke English. He was on his way to lunch and we joined him at the restaurant for some good old Moroccan food. After lunch, he showed us the way to the Sacre Cour. After showing us around we said our goodbyes. Now, I had seen this lad earlier as Renaud ( the older frenchie) showed us around near the Sacre Cour. Not 2 minutes after he walked away, this lad in his teens walked past me, looked me straight in the eye and continued on. Katherine was about 3 meters ahead of me. He walked up to her, whipped out his switchblade and pointed the knife at her. He demanded that she hand over her camera. But she resisted and tried to pull the knife away from him. The camera still strapped to her wrist via the wrist strap was still in tact. At some point he snatched it from her hand as she tried to pull the knife from him. Next thing he ran down a nearby alley. I ran after her. I was so stunned when I saw the size of the blade. I should have thrown a rock at him or something. The next thing we had these kids running up to us saying they knew the thief and wanted to get paid if they found the lad with the camera. After about 30 minutes with no progress we decided to walk back to the Old Medina. On the way we saw a police station. She reported the crime and they contacted the tourist police. The next thing the van showed up saying "Surete Nacional" and we were locked in the back. We were driven back to the crime scene to identify the spot where it happened. Then were driver to the tourist police office to file a report. The whole thing was recorded and during the whole time conversation was going on with 3rd parties who walked in and asked for directions. A cross of path of noise, the report was finally completed, in Arabic, translated in French and she got a copy for insurance purposes. And it was Katherine's birthday on Monday. Katherine, I hand it to you for staying calm the whole time and TG u didn't get hurt!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment