Saturday, April 25, 2009

Instanbul, Day 1: unlike Marrakech in may ways













Photos: Instanbul tram / Views(3) from Topkaki Saraya Palace grounds [yellow columns, ocean, red tulips, castle entrance] / Hagia Sophia Mosque (interior) / Hagia Sophia Mosque / Drinking chai tea in old Instanbul / Blue Mosque (courtyard) / Blue Mosque [Sultan Ahmed Mosque] / Grand Bazaar (interior) / Grand Bazaar


Istanbul is tame compared to Marrakech. It is a very Euro city, almost a hybrid between an Eastern European and Western European city. It is culturally ready to join the EU. Price wise, it is comparible to the States. The freshly squeezed OJ is no longer USD0.30 but is about a USD buck. The harassment I found was not all that bad. I wouldn't call it harassment. Considering what I experienced in the Marrakech souqs, the Grand Bazaar and walking around Old Istanbul (Sultanahmed area) had a mild touch. The good thing is most people speak English. A single female walking will get attention, duh, isn't it an Arabic country? But Turks drink in public establishments whereas in Morocco there is usually one or a few designated places to consume alcohol in public. Walking the streets I did get the stray Turkish male come talk to me, with fairly good English, they didn't press further when I said "No, Thank you." Or walk with me a little further and then go their merry way. I did get drag into two rug stores today, got served chai tea, and received a demo and explanation of the 3 techniques used to make the Turkish rugs. The materials are similar to the Berbers of Morocco but the techniques are different. When I said I wasn't interested in buying, there was no further pressure, just further chit chat and I left after finishing my chai tea. Boy, do I mean the Moroccan tea! It is so different. I decided to take the tram instead of walk to the Grand Bazaar. I had walked to the mosques and palace today but didn't feel like it after a long nap as it was cold - 9 C. Apparently a cold front had come through today. The tram was packed. After office rush hour. In the midst of it I got groped on my butt. I was really pissed as I saw the asshole who was responsible. Without further hesitation, I stepped on his feet with all my weight. LOL. He yelped like a dog and all the others looked at him. I think most people knew the drill. LOL. When I got to the Grand Bazaar. I couldn't find it same as the Moroccan souqs. For starters, the sellers are more educated at the Bazaar. Also more English, Japanese are spoken. The stalls are more upscale and the whole place is a covered structure and easier to navigate. I felt much safer than in the Moroccan souqs. Chai tea cost more than 3 times what it cost in the street in the Bazaar. Not really setting out to buy anything I ended up buying a scarf. Boy. I really need to stop! I just got rid of some slippers so make space in my pack and I buy more! Of course I got the usual fridge magnet earlier in the day ;) Instanbul has a good tourist infrastructure, no comparison to Marrakech. I saw many Japanese, PROC (China) tourist in addition to the Europeans, which for them, is just a 3 hour flight away. The PROC groups crack me up. They don't change they are the same anywhere. You hear them a mile away either when they talk or eat. They leave their spit and you hear them. At least they spit in the bins and not the street. LOL. I was laughing so hard today. I also encountered either Malaysian or Singaporean accents in passing but didn't stop to inquire. At the stall in the Bazaar where I bought my scarf, one fellow was speaking fluent Japanese to some Japanese tourists. Fluent. You got me fooled, until I turned my head to see who was speaking Japanese. My jaw was wide open: it was a Turk! Other than the current temperature of 8C Instanbul is a cool place. Marrakech is a more chaotic place, characters are shadier, and more mysterious than Istanbul. Can't pinpoint it but coming from what I have seen, Instanbul is a good place to visit for those not to comfortable stepping outside a city like environment.

Exciting Moment of the Day

Visiting the Hagia Sophia was truly an exciting moment. I had studied its architecture when at Uni when I was in the architecture program before switching to Engineering. I never dreamed I would get to see it one day: Well, today I did!

No comments: