Saturday, February 7, 2009

Buenos Aires: Back In Town








Very glad to be back in BA. Feels like home. I feel very comfortable here. More than I do in Malaysia, I must say. The non English is becoming less painful each day. [Feb 5 '09]Yesterday was the first day it poured rain, not the greatest of days to be walking around. Of all days I decided to go to La Boca. I had read that it was the "barrio" and crime was riskier there. I took the bus 152 after taking many hours to locate its route of the pages of the "GUIA-T" booklet I had bought which outlines all the bus numbers and routes. Found the stop near my apartment and surprisingly was able to get off a block away on the way back. The streets are one way and so the return route was different. Just as in any city the buses get crowded. Belly to butt, love handle to love handle, cheek to cheek, ear to ear, I was crammed on one bus 152. The bus from Olivos to La Boca. La Boca where the famous colored building drag of La Caminita is located. The Subte doesn't run there so it was the bus or taxi. Taxi in traffic would cost more because you pay for sitting in traffic. So the bus it was. 45 minutes later, I arrived La Boca bus terminal. The last stop. Impossible to get lost. The only ones left on the bus are the tourists headed to La Caminita. Two Slovenian girls were the other ones left on the bus, so we found our way together to the La Caminita. In the rain this wasn't the best time to visit since all the stalls were closed. Upon arriving a gazillion touts started harassing us to go into their cafes to eat and drink. They would greet me in all the Asian greetings and I simply ignored them. This was the first time I had encountered this in BA. Since the Slovenians needed change for the bus we decided to sit down for some cafe at one of the restaurants which had live tango performing. The cafe which cost USD3.00 was well worth it. The tango performance was EXCELLENT and we got our photos taken with the performers. [I will have the performances on YouTube so you can see it. The YouTube clips are at the end of this writeup] [Feb 6 '09]Today I went to the Plaza Mayor to see the balcony where Eva Peron gave her famous speech in 1952. The "Pink House" or Casa Rosada. The plaza is centered by an obelisk with the 25 de Mayo 1810, Argentina's declaration of independence of Napoleonic Spain. In the background you can see the HSBC building. Aren't they everywhere in the World - "We are you local bank." Yeah, indeed. But first I stopped by the Tarquato Tasso Cultural Center to check it out. This famous local tango club has seen celebs like Shakira. But it was closed and I will have to go for a tango class in order to get my pics. Getting to the Tasso Cultural Center was a little out of the way. I had to take the Subte to the Constitucion Railway Station and then walk 6 blocks. I'd take the bus but the screwy system in BA is that you have to have exact change and finding the RIGHT bus which goes down your street is another matter. You see the buses here have their own stops on each street. So they don't stop just at any bus stop. The stops are numbered so you know which buses stop at that stand. But finding the bus from the GUIA-T would take me another 4 hours or so. Trust me, the grid is in the booklet. The bus numbers are also there. But to find the right bus which goes down your street is another matter. Going from Point A to Point B is no problem. But there is more than 1 way to get there. That is the problem. Finding the right route. So it was easiest to just walk. On the way I found a Chinese take out. I bought some awful tasting fried rice and had lunch at the Parque Lezama with everyone else at their lunch break. BA has so many nice parks. You could buy lunch and eat at any of them. Then read a book and snooze for a few hours. There is plenty of shade as there are a lots of big trees. While taking the Subte from Avenida Mayor to Plaza de Mayor, I noticed the wooden seats on the train unlike the others with newer seats. Also noticed the old lamps hanging from the ceiling of the train. I realized that the train probably dates back to 1920s with improvement over the years. I really wasn't in the position to whip out my camera since everyone was staring at me and you know how that goes. Tourist with digital camera...follow...find the camera...grab it. Today while returning to my apt I saw a little boy no more than 7 YO pick pocket. It was so crowded in the Subte. I saw the little fellow counting the bills further down the walkways. Honestly I did not know whom he picked from or I would have said something. He brushed past me said some words to a lady for a drink then scurried away. I don't think it was her. Her bag was way above his head. [Photos] Inside of Plaza Constitucion (train station). Mural in the Subte walkway. La Caminita (that famous corner block).

No comments: