I did what every visitor to B.A. has to do: go to a tango show. I find that most of the tourist agencies charge too much since most shows include dinner. Instead I wandered to the Cafe Tortoni and bought my ticket 2 weeks ago. It was ARS60 or USD18. Not bad. It was a great show with a live band, vocals and performed tango. I shared a table with 2 Argentinians and a Spaniard. Was glad it was non English speaking people [most people there were English speaking] so I got to practise my Espanol. Speaking English is becoming a drag. Since my Espanol is improving changing to Ingles takes a toll on my brain. I think getting a buzz and talking Spanish one's Spanish tends to be a little better ;) I read somewhere that Cafe Tortoni serves great sundaes so I ordered a one "Don Pedro" served with whisky. I think I got a buzz and turned bright red. But anyway that got me clapping with the crowd. The performers entertained the audience by involving them. Asking what countries everyone was from and playing or singing a theme from that country. For a bunch of Americans, they sang "hello Dolly". I think tomorrow I will attend a tango class there and take the Subte and wander over to the Toquato Tasso Center for the later tango class. I want to tango myself out until I drop. Last Sunday I went to a milonga with a live band. Needless to say I made a total ass of myself by not knowing how to move. Oh well, the trials and tribulations of traveling. :)
Wednesday, February 11, 2009
Cafe Tortoni: Night at a Tango Show
I did what every visitor to B.A. has to do: go to a tango show. I find that most of the tourist agencies charge too much since most shows include dinner. Instead I wandered to the Cafe Tortoni and bought my ticket 2 weeks ago. It was ARS60 or USD18. Not bad. It was a great show with a live band, vocals and performed tango. I shared a table with 2 Argentinians and a Spaniard. Was glad it was non English speaking people [most people there were English speaking] so I got to practise my Espanol. Speaking English is becoming a drag. Since my Espanol is improving changing to Ingles takes a toll on my brain. I think getting a buzz and talking Spanish one's Spanish tends to be a little better ;) I read somewhere that Cafe Tortoni serves great sundaes so I ordered a one "Don Pedro" served with whisky. I think I got a buzz and turned bright red. But anyway that got me clapping with the crowd. The performers entertained the audience by involving them. Asking what countries everyone was from and playing or singing a theme from that country. For a bunch of Americans, they sang "hello Dolly". I think tomorrow I will attend a tango class there and take the Subte and wander over to the Toquato Tasso Center for the later tango class. I want to tango myself out until I drop. Last Sunday I went to a milonga with a live band. Needless to say I made a total ass of myself by not knowing how to move. Oh well, the trials and tribulations of traveling. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment