The efficiency here never stops to amaze me. I stepped out at 7am on a Sunday morning and stuck my hand out to hail a taxi, and without moving, one stopped in front of me. I got to the ferry terminal in good time. Buquebus has its own terminal at Puerto Madero. Actually it has the monopoly crossing into Uruguay both ways. I was most impressed (I am still at the Argentine port and already my passport is stamped for entry into Uruguay) that at the immigration desk the Uruguayan immigration officer sat next to the Argentine officer. The Arg Off stamped my passport then turned to ask the Urug Off and asked if I needed a visa. She said No and then stamped my passport. How efficient. A far cry from the land border crossings in some Eastern African countries where you have to answer to the chief of police down to the janitor before yoir passport gets stamped. Oh and get hold of this; I am making this entry from my WIFI enabled phone on the ferry boat via the boat's free satellite access. For those of you who think South American countries are behind. Think again. With their social systems, cleanliness and surprising efficiency, they are more advanced in some areas. And BTW Uruguay is known as the "Switzeland" of South America. It is expensive by South American standards. [Photos] The famous landmark of Punta del Este, el Mano (the Hand).
--
Sent from my mobile device
No comments:
Post a Comment