Wednesday, February 25, 2009
Report from Rio
Here I am at the Internet cafe trying to finalize my further travel logistics. I was at a techno show last night as part of the Rio Music Conference 2009. DJ Armin van Buuren was the show headline. There 2 other DJs before hand. Each was on for about 3 hours. The conference features big names from places like Ibiza Spain. I will detail the report on this later. But basically my hearing is pretty deaf today as I was up front smeared against the barricade jumping and hopping for 6+ hours. I got home this morning and slept the most of the morning, then got up and followed some "bloco" street parties. During Carnival, it is like spring break and mardi gras all in one. There are street parades and drums all over the place. It is a happy time for everyone. I must get back to sleeping hours as my days are shot. Made my way up to Christ the Redeemer (Cristo Redentor) on Corcovado Hill Monday. Stupid mistake. Fighting the hoards of tourists was impossible to get any decent pictures, let alone stand in one place to admire the view from up top. I may go back, as I couldn't get on the train up (with excellent views) and ended up taking a van up instead. The train and or van plus entrance is usd15. I may skip it a 2nd time since I don't feel like shelling out another usd15. Trying to hold off visiting Sugarloaf cable car as I suspect the hoards of tourists are in that area also. Yeah Carnival in Rio is a good time to immerse yourself in Brazilian debauchery at its peak and participate in the biggest party on planet Earth but a day or two of it can tire you out totally. Then try seeing the sites, everyone goes there. Traveling solo has its perks. But the downside is eating alone at times get boring. Unless you speak Portuguese you really can't be having conversations with people around. People are friendly and polite, but unless you can speak to them, you are pretty limited until you run into other tourists. But that totally defeats the purpose ;) if you are trying to mingle with locals. My Portuguese is getting there. I guess total immersion and solo traveling does force you into having to learn words pretty quickly. The weather here is unbelievably humid. With temperatures hovering around 28-30 C and humidity at 85% I change my clothes twice a day. Most everyone wears a halter or just walk around in a bikini top. Men wear their skimpy speedos and walk around. No big deal here. Most people who do wear the skimpies are in good shape. At lifeguard post No. 9 is the gay area of Ipanema beach. But basically all of Ipanema is gay (reputation wise). Copacabana is the more touristy normal crowd. I wandered to Ipaneam beach lifeguard post no. 9 one day and had a ball looking at the scene. During Carnaval the place is packed. You be hard pressed to find a piece of sandy real estate near the water. Up higher on the beach is more area so that's where I planted myself to observe. An amusing afternoon that proved to be. Rio is expensive. I have been grocery shopping at the local Zona Sul supermarket a block away. I would say everything so far is at least 1.5 times more than Phoenix prices. Eggs are really pricey. Anyhow this is Carnaval and I suppose prices are inflated during this time. I will get around to posting a proper blog with photos once I get wifi or plug in access to Internet. The last virus proved too much of a nuisance to clean. I am waiting for next week when the tourists clear to property secure myself a permanent place in the sand. I have to hit an early night today as I have been going to sleep at 6am the last few days. Plus I have to get my hearing back by morning or it will drive me insane. That was one awesome show. I have already been here a week already, can't believe it. Been getting lots of exercise since I don't know the bus routes I just walk to wherever I have to get to, mostly the metro which is quite a walk from my place. The metro does not come all the way down to Copa so if you stay in Ipanema you have to take a cab to get there or bus. Not feeling great today I think I am coming down with flu or something and I can still not hear very well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment